[Marxism] Fwd: ZCommunications » For clarity in Syria’s muddy politics
Louis Proyect
2014-10-20 12:45:22 UTC
Vijay Prashad is a very smart guy but has a certain naivete when it
comes to Syria:

"The government of Bashar al-Assad is weakened. Syria, says one former
leader, is ?in danger of being lost permanently.? Residues of Syrian
patriotism remain, and these leaders are eager but afraid to make a
public declaration to the following effect ? the armed struggle to bring
democracy to Syria has failed, the Damascus government is weak and
prepared to make concessions, and a united front of Syrians is required
to fight the threat from IS."

http://zcomm.org/znetarticle/for-clarity-in-syrias-muddy-politics/

A united front of Syrians? Really? I doubt that any rebel would consider
this after 3 years of suffering from attacks that make Guernica look
like a Sunday School picnic.
Andrew Pollack
2014-10-20 14:43:25 UTC
It's not naivete. His fascination with state "options" is the same brand of
liberalism behind Phyllis Bennis's obsession with the UN.

And of course for Vijay, the grassroots, secular revolution doesn't exist.
I think it was Louis who forwarded this interview with Joseph Daher. It has
a very, very long list of grassroots activities.
http://www.criticatac.ro/lefteast/interview-joseph-daher/

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 8:45 AM, Louis Proyect via Marxism <
******************** POSTING RULES & NOTES ********************
#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.
Vijay Prashad is a very smart guy but has a certain naivete when it comes
"The government of Bashar al-Assad is weakened. Syria, says one former
leader, is ?in danger of being lost permanently.? Residues of Syrian
patriotism remain, and these leaders are eager but afraid to make a public
declaration to the following effect ? the armed struggle to bring democracy
to Syria has failed, the Damascus government is weak and prepared to make
concessions, and a united front of Syrians is required to fight the threat
from IS."
http://zcomm.org/znetarticle/for-clarity-in-syrias-muddy-politics/
A united front of Syrians? Really? I doubt that any rebel would consider
this after 3 years of suffering from attacks that make Guernica look like a
Sunday School picnic.
options/marxism/acpollack2%40gmail.com